Face-to-face interviews are structured interviews conducted by trained professionals who use an interview protocol and a standardized set of responses to record participants’ opinions.
Face-to-face interviews can be conducted in homes, offices, or other places of work or leisure.
The main advantages of this methodology are the ability to ensure that the target participant is the focus of the interview and to control interactions using complex questions through probing mechanisms
- Gang research is a hybrid of quantitative and qualitative methodology. An initial group of between 15 and 25 participants are invited to a one-room meeting, using a mixture of a self-administered questionnaire followed by later group discussions;
- Quantitative approach – completing a standardized questionnaire under the supervision of the moderator;
- Qualitative approach – discussion of the most important qualitative issues.
Sensory analysis consists of a hybrid research methodology that seeks to understand how the five human senses (sight, smell, touch, taste and hearing) are key elements for consumer acceptance.
Central Location Testing (CLT) is a qualitative approach that takes place in a specific, controlled and appropriate environment.
Controlled environment – can eliminate bias.
Deeper – follow-up questions from participants based on their reactions and responses.
Test intangible concepts – sensory impressions and opinions
Appropriate location – allows interviewing a large number of participants in a short period of time.
The sensory tests at home or HUT are quantitative in nature. We will talk about this methodology individually below.
Sensory methods can be divided into analytical (discriminative and descriptive) and affective.
CATI, CAPI and CAWI
CATI stands for Computer Assisted Telephone Interview, this methodology has replaced traditional telephone interviews. All logic, questionnaire routing or complex surveys are handled by CATI programming.
- The interviewer focuses exclusively on the interview, as the commands and routing instructions are pre-programmed;
- Data is captured and entered directly into the survey database. This eliminates the need for additional data processing;
- As feedback is being collected live, survey results and reports can be managed incrementally during the fieldwork;
- Most modern CATI platforms combine telephone interview capabilities with online surveys, allowing for mixed-mode methodologies.
It is a face-to-face interview technique in which the interviewer uses an electronic device to record the opinions of the interviewee.
The main features of this technique:
- The respondent or the interviewer operates a device (this can be a laptop, a tablet or a smartphone) and completes a questionnaire;
- CAPI can be used to interview family members, businesspeople or convention attendees.
Computer-assisted web interviewing is an Internet survey technique in which the interviewee follows a script provided on a website. Questionnaires are done in a program allowing them to contain photos, audio and video clips, links to different web pages.
With the increasing use of the Internet, online questionnaires have become a popular way to collect information. The design of an online questionnaire has a significant effect on the quality of the collected data.
Web surveys are becoming popular because of their flexibility and low cost. The time taken to complete online surveys is, on average, two-thirds shorter than traditional survey methods. As information is collected automatically, the response time is almost instantaneous. In addition, respondents do not feel coerced into answering surveys, as they are subtly addressed and are free to respond or not without pressure.
In-Home Sensory Testing (HUT) is the last sensory assessment done before products are launched in the market. It is important to check the preference for attributes as well as for the product as a whole, the willingness to purchase and the price that consumers would be willing to pay. Home use tests provide valuable information on product performance in a natural environment prior to marketing and launch.